Ms Skinnyfat

A Food & Travel Blog from Singapore

Hawker Review: Song Fa Ba Kut Teh

By Friday, December 30, 2011 , , , ,

On cold nights or rainy days, i often find myself craving for hot peppery soup and that's when i'll head down to Song Fa Ba Kut Teh to warm up my shivering tummy.

My favorite bkt is the clear soup (otherwise called white soup) which is packed with lotsa black and white pepper. Not a fan of the black herbal sort (too much herbs for me). I used to only eat at Founder's which has pretty decent bkt IMO but decided to give Song Fa a shot since i see it all the time at Clark Quay. 
Verdict? The soup is not bad, savory enough and is very aromatic. I still do think Founder's has really good soup but SF has way better ribs. The meat is so tender, it peels off the bone with a light tug of your teeth. The ribs absorbs the flavor of the soup so thoroughly you don't even have to dip it in too much dark sauce to give it the extra flavor. I have tried both the premium and the regular ribs here and the regular ones are much better. Trust me on this one. The regular rib is better than Founder's premium ribs as well. For $8 you would get the large bowl and that's about 6 ribs. On good days i can finish that by myself.

If you want more food, other dishes such as the braised intestines (really well marinated and clean), pork trotters (braised and melt-in-your-mouth meat!), chicken feet (i don't eat this) etc are pretty awesome too. If you like variety, you could go for the mixed soup of your choice- you could choose ribs, stomach, tail bone etc in the pork bone soup. Me? I'd just go for the regular pork rib bkt. :)

Love dipping the you tiao into the soup and then smearing it in the dark sauce before popping each golden babies into my mouth. The salted veggies are also a must order.
Simple comfort food to chase away the cold! Enjoy. There are 2 outlets along New Bridge Road, i always go to the air conditioned one. It's from the same kitchen and the prices are the same so why not dine in comfort right?

Song Fa Ba Kut Teh
11 & 17 New Bridge Road, #01-01
Tel: +65 6533 6128
Tues-Sun: 7am - 10pm
Closed Mon

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Comments